CinemaTech
[ Digital cinema, democratization, and other trends remaking the movies ]

AD: Fans, Friends & Followers

Friday, March 21, 2008

How Will People Find What They Want to Watch?

One interesting tidbit I wanted to share from a panel I moderated on Tuesday at the NAB Futures Summit...

We were talking about how people will discover content in the future...how they'll find things to watch.

Josh Goldman, a partner at Norwest Venture Partners in Silicon Valley (and formerly CEO of Akimbo, a set-top box company), suggested that there will be three modes of content discovery:

    1. Social (a friend tells you about it -- in person, via e-mail, through a Facebook-like site, etc.)

    2. Algorithmic (some piece of software leads you to it, whether its a search tool like Google or a "personalization engine" that roams the Net looking for stuff that might fit your interests)

    3. Editorial (a Web site, blog, magazine, or other publication reviews or recommends it)

It's a good list...but I wonder if one thing is missing. Won't advertising that suggests you ought to download this new movie, or that new TV show, still be a way to drive people to content, at least for content producers with big bucks?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Not only will advertising still be one of the ways we find content, it will often be indistinguishable from the other three approaches. Social networks, search engines, and editorial content--all three will be influenced by ad dollars and sponsorships. They already are.

    Your friend's recommendation? It was influenced by a social network seeding agency. Search engine listing? The content provider paid to get the listing at the top. Editorial content? A perfectly crafted press release influenced your media person, and your favorite blogger was given a "sneak preview" as part of a media junket.

    In the end, you probably won't care anyway, because you found the content that you REALLY wanted--and loved every minute of it.

    By Blogger Brooks Briggs, at 12:00 AM  

  • runescape gold of RS Online Game, we have made several changes to Fun Orb. If you wish to buy runescape to explore other spell books, you should subscribe as a Fun Orb member. Shattered Plans - a galaxy-spanning strategy epic that use rs gold to allow up to six players to battle for supremacy. We only plan to pay cheap rs gold when we feel you will appreciate the updates. And we certainly feel that these changes and some runescape money are worth telling you about.
    Scions Of Fate gold is sometimes need to pay for in this Scions of Fate game. For example in this game, we have to buy sof gold to exchange premium in order to protect our character. The only part of this game will require you to pay SOF gold but they are optional for you to choose in the premium store. One very common item bought with cheap SOF gold at the store would be a pet. The Gameim.com is offering you with Scions Of Fate money and all kinds of cheap game gold.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:44 AM  

  • Once I played 4story, I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have 4story Luna. He gave me some 4story Gold, he said that I could buy 4story Luna, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some 4story money, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell cheap 4story Luna to anyone who want.

    Once I played stoneage2, I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have stoneage2 Gold. He gave me some stoneage 2 Gold, he said that I could buy stoneage2 money, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some buy stoneage2 Gold, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell stoneage 2 money to anyone who want.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home