CinemaTech
[ Digital cinema, democratization, and other trends remaking the movies ]

AD: Fans, Friends & Followers

Thursday, April 10, 2008

One more set-top box, this one from Blockbuster

Andrew Wallenstein of The Hollywood Reporter writes:

    The home video giant [Blockbuster] is developing a set-top device for streaming films directly to TV sets and is expected to announce the offering sometime this month.


(CNET's News.com has some additional analysis.)

My belief is that most of us will likely never purchase a device that *only* delivers digital movies (like Vudu, for instance, and potentially this new product from Blockbuster). It'll have to serve multiple purposes, like providing WiFi access to your entire home, acting as a DVR, storage hub for your digital files, etc. It'll probably come from your cable or satellite provider, much as we loathe those guys.

But it's admirable to see Blockbuster moving so definitively in a digital direction, after buying the Movielink download marketplace last August.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Another yawn. The big companies don't get it. The consumers are already past this one. You can get everything on your computer. Why get another piece of hardware?

    By Blogger GB, at 3:43 PM  

  • Your blog is very interesting and informative. Blockbuster, Inc. is an international company providing in-home entertainment. It is the largest video rental chain in the world. Blockbuster has been of great frustration to me. I never got the ordered items. However, my friends are rather satisfied with the company. I have posted my comments and reviews to www.pissedconsumer.com. Hope others will not be tricked in.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:27 AM  

  • You know ,I have some 9Dragons gold, and my friend also has some
    9 Dragons gold,do you kouw they have the same meaning,Both of them can be called
    9Dragons money,I just want to
    buy 9 Dragons gold, because there are many
    cheap 9Dragons gold.
    You know ,I have some Anarchy credits, and my friend also has some Anarchy Online credits, do you kouw they have the same meaning,Both of them can be called
    Anarchy gold,I just want to
    buy AO credits, because there are many cheap
    Anarchy online gold.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home