CinemaTech
[ Digital cinema, democratization, and other trends remaking the movies ]

AD: Fans, Friends & Followers

Thursday, May 29, 2008

TiVo/Disney: The Clock Starts Ticking ... NOW

Renting movies and watching them within 24 hours is great for people who:

    - Never fall asleep during a movie
    - Don't have children
    - Don't receive phone calls that interrupt a movie
    - Don't ever remember that there's a live broadcast (like a sporting event) that they'd rather be watching, mid-way through a movie

But a new partnership between TiVo and Disney dictates that, while you can now rent some Disney movies and have them delivered directly to your TiVo, you must watch them within 24 hours. If you start at 8 PM, they vanish by 8 PM the next night. Here's the Variety coverage.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Bigger drawback, for me at least ... no bonus features. I love a good director's commentary almost as much as the movie itself. (Not all director's commentaries are good, however.)

    I learned some helpful things from director Allen Coulter's commentary on "Hollywoodland". His ideas on how to reveal something in a more organic way instead of the stock insert shot made me think about my shooting style.

    Peace,

    Rob:-]

    By Blogger Rob:-], at 1:18 PM  

  • "Our whole focus going forward is to give users unlimited content and control," said Tara Maitra, TiVo's vice president of content services.

    Um, yeah -- unlimited control...pfff...

    By Blogger Wes, at 3:43 PM  

  • Anybody want to bet that this will succeed? I've got some big bucks I'd lay down against Disney on this one.

    By Blogger GBH, at 6:21 PM  

  • It's similar to what DirecTV used to do (and maybe still does). You "buy" a PPV movie, and it's $3.99. When you do, it's an "All Day Ticket" meaning you can watch it as many times as you want during the day.

    But, with that said, I made those PPV purchases on my DirecTV/Tivo system, so I could watch the movie a week later. :)

    By Blogger Russ, at 8:24 PM  

  • I love your blog.Keep your excellent job.

    http://x-pax.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:57 AM  

  • I don't have any direct knowledge of this, but I would hope the TiVo/Disney arrangement works similarly to the TiVo/Amazon arrangement.

    You rent a movie, it downloads to your TiVo, you have 30 days to *start* watching it, then 24 hours to finish it.

    By Blogger AVN, at 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home