CinemaTech
[ Digital cinema, democratization, and other trends remaking the movies ]

AD: Fans, Friends & Followers

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Does this news matter? Roku sells out of its new Netflix set-top box

When Amazon sold out of Kindle e-book readers after just a few days, I was skeptical: they'd never announced how many were available in that first production run. Was it 100? 1000? A million?

Now, we've got the same situation with Roku's new $99 set-top box that delivers "Watch It Now" streaming movies from Netflix: they're sold out, according to the San Jose Mercury News, but no one will say just how many were available.

So does it matter that Roku is "sold out" of its set-top box? Or is this just a PR gambit to make the device seem "hot"?

(Or maybe it's a manufacturing snafu: Roku says it'll take six to eight weeks to clear up the backlog, according to the Silicon Valley Business Journal.)

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • we can help you made some good money
    with your blog visit us for info
    ( we pay for your blog post or view)

    http://tinyurl.com/4u6zom

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:21 PM  

  • Scott -- I actually got one. I was really excited by this little box. I mean, for $100 US and a Netflix account how can you really go wrong?

    Sure not all titles are available and in a year there will probably be another bigger, better version but hey, it's $100.

    I won't actually be playing with it until the end of the month though. It's a birthday gift (that I know about.) Stayed tuned. I'll give it a review from my site when I have it up and running.

    By Blogger William, at 2:47 PM  

  • I have a Roku box, and it's the best thing since sliced bread. I use it every night. It rules, seriously, awesome.

    ~ Eric

    By Blogger The Filmmakers, at 5:02 PM  

  • i'm watching Roku right now! I'm surprised how good the quality is and have little to no problems with the interface (i do wish you could browse the whole library, not just your instant queue). I think the hardware is solid and there are some software tweaks overtime they could make to improve things. all in all, no complaints and totally worth the $.

    By Blogger andybeach, at 10:37 PM  

  • This little box might be a milestone, there have been many "set top box" ventures come and go, but a box that offers a gateway to the vast (now it's limited, but I'm sure it will open up) Netflix library, now that's interesting! Netflix was wise not to include any reference to DVDs in their name. It's all about the Net when it comes to watching Flix in the future.

    By Blogger David Tames, at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home